At this very moment, the City of Los Angeles is experiencing a traffic jam. No, it’s not one of the many traffic jams you’ll face every day on the 405 or Route 101, it’s a bureaucratic traffic jam holding up commercial cannabis licenses.
Phase I and Phase II of the Social Equity Program was overwhelming. When Phase II closed on September 14th, there were far more applications than anticipated, and that has led to a backup of work. Thus, Phase III won’t be rolling out as rapidly as previously hoped.
Before now, applicants had been hoping that Phase III would begin in just a few short weeks. Though the City hasn’t yet issued a statement on the projected timeline, the large number of applications has likely extended the waiting period to a few months.
In the meantime, here are the key points to remember for applicants:
• Phase III is open to general applicants.
• Tier 1 and Tier 2 Social Equity Applicants will receive priority processing.
• The City will process one general retail applicant for every two Social Equity Applicants.
• Non-retail applicants will see one general retail application processed for every Social Equity Applicant.
While waiting for Phase III to begin, it is recommended that applicants do the following:
• Form a commercial cannabis entity.
• Connect with individuals who quality as Tier 1 or Tier 2 Social Equity Applicants.
• Acquire a location that meets City zoning and operational requirements.
These may not be easy tasks, so consider contacting MJ LEGAL. Through a consultation, you can discuss everything you need to about your business needs. MJ LEGAL is experts in many cannabis business topics:
• How to properly license your business.
• How to get financing for your business and operations.
• How to find and acquire the best property for your business.
• How to form a corporation.
MJ Legal is a one-stop, full service Business and Legal Consulting firm focused on the cannabis space. Since 2014, MJ Legal has been helping clients deal with the ever-changing legal climate of California’s medicinal and recreational cannabis industry. Our law practice has grown substantially over the past few years, but we remain dedicated to getting to know our clients personally, and to giving our clients the responsiveness that they deserve. We take pride in our legal craftsmanship and in our ability to effectively assist our clients in reaching their goals. “The staff of MJ Legal have been focused on working with cannabis businesses in California for over 5 years. We have a proven track record of success and are ready to assist you with every part of the startup and licensing process”, Ajay Narayan, MJ Legal Founding Partner.
For more information about cannabis licensing in Los Angeles and throughout California. Please contact the offices of MJ Legal. We can turn your green dreams into a reality!